Low Voltage Directive (LVD)
How we can help you meet the requirements of the LVD?
At RN Electronics we offer test services to meet the safety objectives of the Low Voltage Directive. Furthermore we can provide sample copies of Declaration of Conformity, and offer consultation and help in compiling technical files.
In the EU, all electrical products in the voltage range 50 - 1000V a.c. and 75 - 1500V d.c. must comply with the requirements of community directive 2006/95/EC, the Low Voltage Directive, also commonly known as the LVD. This directive is not limited to cover electrical safety of a product but also considers mechanical, chemical, energy etc. related hazards. The main purpose of the directive is to enable free movement of goods in the EU, where all products comply with the same set of requirements, thereby promoting trade.
Conformance with the requirements of Low Voltage Directive
The easiest way to demonstrate compliance with the safety objectives of the Low Voltage Directive (Annex I of LVD) is to apply a harmonised standard listed in the Official Journal of the European Union. This leads to a presumption of conformity with the requirements. In absence of such harmonised standards any suitable IEC recognised standard can be applied. In the absence of both harmonised and IEC standards, a suitable nationally recognised standard can be applied.
Placing a product on the market
Conformance with a standard and placing the product on the market are two different things. Conformance with harmonised standards leads to a presumption of conformity with the safety objectives of the Low Voltage Directive (Annex I of LVD). In order to ensure complete compliance with the requirements of the Low Voltage Directive, the following aspects have to be considered in addition to application of a harmonised standard:
• Internal production control.
• Compiling Technical file.
• Compiling Declaration of Conformity.
• Placing CE mark on the product.
Internal Production Control
This requires a manufacturer to ensure that sufficient internal quality procedures are in place to ensure that each product manufactured meets the requirements set in the manufacturer's technical file and Declaration of Conformity (DoC).
The technical file must enable the conformity of the electrical equipment to requirements of all relevant directives. It must, as far as relevant for such assessment, cover design, manufacture and operation of electrical equipment. It must include:
• A general description of the electrical equipment.
• Conceptual design and manufacturing drawings and schemes of components, sub-assemblies, circuits etc.
• Descriptions and explanations necessary for the understanding of drawings, schemes and the operation of the electrical
• A list of standards applied in full or in part, and descriptions of solutions adopted to satisfy the safety aspects of this
directive where standards have not been applied.
• Results of design calculations made, examinations carried out, etc.
• Test reports.
Declaration of Conformity (DoC)
The declaration of conformity must contain the following elements:
• Name and address of the manufacturer or his authorised representative established within the European community.
• A description of the electrical equipment.
• Reference to harmonised standards applied.
• Where appropriate, reference to the specification with which conformity is declared.
• Identification of the signatory who has been empowered to enter into commitments on behalf of the manufacturer or his
authorised representative established within European community.
• The last two digits of the year in which the CE mark was fixed.
Please note that declaration of conformity shall not be limited to Low Voltage Directive; it shall cover all relevant directives that are applicable to the product. For example, the EMC and R&TTE directive.
For a sample copy of the DoC to the Low Voltage Directive please contact us here.
Placing the CE mark
Once all the requirements above have been fulfilled a CE mark shall be placed on the product.
Request a Quotation
If you would like a quote, please complete and return a Safety Questionnaire or for further information contact RN Electronics an established, cost effective, knowledgeable and complete service solution.