RN Electronics offers safety testing for electrical products, helping you meet the safety compliance requirements for European and Worldwide markets.
Safety Testing services at RN Electronics offer a fast and cost effective approach towards meeting the requirements of the Low Voltage Directive 2014/35/EU or other applicable directives. We are setup to meet the requirements of a diverse clientele, offering safety testing for electrical products in the following market sectors:
• Information technology equipment
• Audio, visual and similar types of equipment
• Laboratory and other professional use equipment
• Medical devices and IVD medical equipment
• Lights and lighting equipment
• Household appliances
• Power supply units/transformers
• Radio products under the scope of the R&TTE directive
Basic Safety Assessment
Safety testing can be time consuming and costly. We offer a product called a Basic Safety Assessment (BSA) which generally takes a day, costs less than you think and provides an excellent benchmark in developing a safe product.
The Basic Safety Assessment consists of two parts - dynamic tests and visual inspection.
The dynamic tests include but are not limited to:
• Input current measurements.
• Temperature rise measurements.
• Insulation resistance test.
• Dielectric strength test.
• Touch current and earth leakage measurements.
• Earth bond test.
• Plug pin discharge test.
• Mechanical strength tests.
• Fault condition testing.
The visual inspection includes but is not limited to:
• Visual inspection to check clearance and creepage distances, access to live parts and to ensure safe construction.
• Review of markings/labelling present on EUT.
• Review of user manual and other documentation in terms of the requirements of the particular standard.
• Review the suitability of critical components used in the product in terms of - is the component approved to the correct
standard? Is the type of approval suitable for the particular application? Any further requirements?
• Review the general design and construction of the unit in accordance with the particular standard.
• Identify other potential hazards (mechanical, chemical, radiation etc.) applicable to the product and comment on what
needs to be done to ensure compliance.
The BSA covers most of the critical safety parameters of the Low Voltage Directive and is a cost effective alternative to Third Party approval schemes.
The aim of the basic safety assessment is to help you to self-certify. At the end of the assessment we provide a report which contains tests results and offers advice on how to overcome any shortcomings, if applicable. This test report is added to your Technical Construction File (TCF) and can be used to self-certify your product with the requirements of the Low Voltage Directive.
In addition to the Basic Safety Assessment, RN Electronics can offer type tests to meet the complete requirements of the relevant standard.